Friday, May 13, 2011

Mango Sorbet


My adventure making raspberry sorbet was such a kick that I’ve been inspired to try some other sorbet recipes.  I’m waiting for local strawberries to come in.  Making that sorbet will be a no-brainer.  The other day while at Trader Joe’s, I found frozen mango puree, packaged in four quarter-pound pouches.  The full pound is just the right amount to make a quart of mango sorbet.  I looked at several suggested recipes online, picked and chose what I thought would work, and this is what I used:

MANGO SORBET

Ingredients (makes approx. 1 quart):

1 lb. mango puree
1 cup sugar
1 cup cold water
Juice of 1½ limes (approx. ¼ cup)


That’s all it takes!  Make a simple syrup from the water and sugar by heating in a saucepan until the sugar is totally dissolved.  Cool in refrigerator.  When the syrup has chilled somewhat, you can add all ingredients together and allow them to chill together.  (It’s always a good thing to chill together, isn’t it?)

Freeze using an ice cream or sorbet maker, following the manufacturer’s directions.  For more information on how I use my ice cream maker, see the Raspberry Sorbet post.

The mango sorbet was served with shortbread cookies and was delicious.  It is a light dessert that has a fresh taste.  If you have a favorite sorbet (or ice cream) recipe, send it to me.  Or, if you have a suggestion for a sorbet, let me know.  I’m willing to try almost anything!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to try this...especially since Colorado does not have Rita's and my favorite flavor there is mango (well, that and watermelon!)...this will have to be the closest thing I can get to it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete