Friday, August 19, 2011

Peach Cobbler


About three weeks ago, I had the honor of being asked to say a few words at the rededication of the World War I memorial in Royersford’s Victory Park.  Kyle Thorpe, aspiring for scouting’s highest rank, had restored the monument for his Eagle Scout project.  It was a great day to give tribute to those who served in "The Great War," especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice.  Most people are unaware that there is no national memorial for WWI.  The only recognition for these individuals can be found in small town and borough monuments across our country.  Congratulations to Kyle and the other scouts who assisted him in successfully completing this project!  (Click here for Limerick-Royersford-Spring City Patch coverage of the rededication.)
The rededication was not only a great day for remembering WWI servicemen and women.  It was also a great day for remembering my own participation in Boy Scouting.  I never made Eagle, attaining the second highest rank of Life, but I have carried the experiences I was provided and the lessons that I learned with me all my life.  Some are comical.  For example, did you know that if you confuse instant milk with instant mashed potatoes when making hot chocolate, you’ll get chocolate mashed potatoes?  (Of course there was someone in our troop who thought they were great.)

Other experiences had a more profound and lasting effect in my life, such as the opportunities for leadership.  I wonder if the adult leaders of the troop understood to what extent their lives were held in our hands when they permitted us to plan and prepare the meals for a weekend-long camping trip.  I also produced a monthly newsletter for our troop, honing early (and primitive) writing skills.  I recall strong feelings of accomplishment after surviving the Order of the Arrow Ordeal and upon completing the Mile Swim…twice.  In fulfilling the Order of the Arrow, I agreed to the following:  “I do hereby promise on my honor as a Scout that I will always…regard the ties of brotherhood as lasting, and will seek to preserve a cheerful spirit even in the midst of irksome tasks and weighty responsibilities, and will endeavor, so far as in my power lies, to be unselfish in service and devotion to the welfare of others.”  I had no real idea of what I was agreeing to in signing that.  But as in the case with most quality youth programs, seeds well-planted more often than not, bear fruit.

Photo credit:  Dirty Gourmet
Soon after I started There’s a Dad in the Kitchen, I received a comment from long-time friend and fellow scout, Jack Neborak.  In response to a dessert recipe, Jack wanted to know when I was going to post a recipe for peach cobbler like my dad used to make on our scout camping trips.  That memory also took me back.  I remember it so clearly.  We used canned peaches and Bisquick.  The fire was readied, until only red-hot coals were remaining.  We used a cast iron Dutch oven to bake in.  To provide an air space under the pan so the bottom of the cobbler wouldn’t burn, three small stones were placed on the floor of the Dutch oven, and the pan with the unbaked cobbler was placed on top of them.  The lid was put into place and coals were heaped on top.  The Dutch oven was then nestled in a bed of more coals.  There was no checking on the progress of the cobbler as it baked.  That would blow ash inside, providing more fiber, but certainly less appeal.  (With cobbler you couldn’t say the ash was pepper.)  After about an hour, it was do or die.  The coals would be swept off and the lid removed, to find…simply the best possible concoction you would ever hope to eat on a weekend scout camping trip.

Peaches are in season.  It is time to make the cobbler!

I had fun researching peach cobbler recipes.  Most are more of a crisp or crunch-style compared to what I remember.  This recipe, from Betty Crocker, uses fresh (of course) peaches and calls for cobbler dough made from scratch.  Use Bisquick if you must, but this is almost as easy to make, and in my opinion, much better.

You've got to start with good peaches.  Mine came from two sources:  Renninger's Farm and The Farmer's Daughter Farm Market.  I thought I had enough with one stop, but several disappeared before I could make the cobbler.  Hmmmmmm....

PEACH COBBLER
(Click on any image to enlarge it)

Ingredients
For the peaches:
4 cups sliced fresh peaches (approx. 6 med. Peaches)
½ cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice

For the cobbler dough:
3 Tablespoons shortening
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk

Serving suggestions:  Serve warm with cream, milk or ice cream

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°.  

The first step is to peel and slice the peaches.  In researching peach cobbler recipes, I came across a fantastic way to peel peaches.  It’s similar to the method used for peeling red beets that I described in a previous post.  To easily peel fresh peaches, dip the peaches into a saucepan of boiling water.  Allow the peaches to remain submerged for one minute.  
The skins will then effortlessly slip off.  Use your fingernail, or a paring knife to start, or just use your hands to rub the skin off.  The best part is that only the skin comes off.  You don’t lose any peach flesh by using this technique.  Cut each peach in half and remove the pit.  Slice the peaches into thin wedges.

Okay, I know you're not supposed to show the mess when posting a
recipe, but there is no neat way to peel, pit, and slice six peaches.
Be Prepared!...which is also the Boy Scout motto.
Mix ½ cup sugar, the cornstarch, and cinnamon together in a 2-quart saucepan.  Stir in the peaches and lemon juice.  

Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils.  Allow to boil for one minute.  

Pour the peach mixture into an ungreased 2-quart casserole, and keep the peach mixture hot in the oven.

To make the cobbler dough, combine the flour, 1 Tablespoon of sugar, the baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.  Cut the shortening into the flour mixture using a pastry blender, or use two forks.  Blend until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.  

Stir in the milk until thoroughly moist.  

Drop the dough by 6 spoonfuls onto the hot peach mixture.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.  Serve warm with cream, milk or ice cream.  (It’s delicious plain, too!)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment