Friday, July 15, 2011

Cantaloupe Soup



Okay, I admit it.  I needed a super easy recipe this week.  Preparing for Vacation Bible School at PFC has taken up just about every minute.  So here it is:  Cantaloupe Soup.

I hope your reaction doesn’t match my uncle’s.  I picked him up at the doctor’s office this week and he asked what recipe I was working on.  When I told him, not one to mince words or hide his emotions, he replied, “Cantaloupe Soup?  That doesn’t sound good!”

I explained that it was served cold and that it is very refreshing, but he was not to be swayed.  “That’s as bad as trying to make bread out of zucchini!”

I wasn’t about to tell him that Zucchini Bread is a future post.

All you need this week is a cantaloupe (obviously), a little orange juice, lime juice, and ground cinnamon…and a blender or food processor.  And that’s about all you need to know, but here is the recipe, adapted from allrecipes.com.

CANTALOUPE SOUP

1 cantaloupe, de-seeded, and cubed
1 cup orange juice
1 Tablespoon lime juice
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

If you want to serve the soup immediately, the cantaloupe should be chilled.  Combine the cubed cantaloupe and ½ of the orange juice in a blender or food processor.  If it doesn’t all fit in one blending, use the remaining orange juice for a second blending.  Pour into a large serving bowl and add the lime juice and cinnamon.  Stir thoroughly and serve topped with fresh mint leaves, if desired.  Keep chilled until served.

We first had cantaloupe soup at a restaurant in St. Michael’s Maryland several summers ago.  It’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s refreshingly delicious.  Try it.  If you like cantaloupe, you’ll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment